What We Can Prepare

Forms VITA can prepare

VITA volunteers can provide assistance and preparation services for several tax forms, but not all. VITA volunteers can prepare returns with the following tax items:

  • Wages and Salaries (W-2)
  • Interest Income (1099-INT)
  • Dividends Received (1099-DIV)
  • State Tax Refunds (1099-G)
  • Unemployment Benefits (1099-G)
  • IRA Distributions (1099-R), limited
  • Pension Income (1099-R, RRB-1099, CSA-1099)
  • Social Security Benefits (SSA-1099)
  • Simple Capital Gain/Loss (1099-B)
  • Sale of Home (1099-S), limited
  • Self-Employment Income (1099-MISC), limited
  • Gambling Winnings (W-2G)
  • Cancellation of Debt (1099-C), limited
  • Health Savings Accounts (1099-SA)
  • Itemized Deductions, limited
  • Education Credits (1098-T), limited
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Earned Income Credit
  • ACA Statements (1095-A, B or C)
  • Prior Year and Amended Returns, limited
  • Wisconsin Forms 1 and Schedule H

Forms VITA cannot prepare

VITA assists community members in preparation of standard tax forms. Because tax forms vary and can be complex, there are forms our volunteers are unable to prepare. Please review the list below of forms we are currently unable to prepare.

  • Schedule C
  • Complicated and Advanced Schedule D (applies if you sold more than 3 stocks)
  • Schedule E: Rental Income, Partnerships, S-Corps
  • Schedule F: Farm Income/Loss
  • Employee Business Expenses: 2106
  • Moving Expenses: 3903
  • Casualty Losses: 4684
  • Non-deductible IRAs: 8606
  • Form 8615 (minor’s investment income other than taxable scholarship)
  • We are unable to provide tax preparation assistance for individuals who divorced during the tax year
  • Married filing separately (unless children are involved and filing as Head of Household)
  • Active-Duty Military
  • Form 1099-A: Acquisition or Abandonment of Secured Property
  • Form 1099-C: Cancellation of Debt for a Personal Residence
  • Parts 4 and 5 of Form 8962 (premium tax credits)
  • Nonresident and part-year resident Wisconsin returns
  • Out-of-state returns
  • SS-5 (request for Social Security number)