For Tax Filers

Who is Eligible?

Free income tax assistance is available for low-income individuals, individuals with disabilities, non-English speaking tax payers, and the elderly (generally, household income under $66,000). In addition, the program assists individuals who qualify for homestead credit or the earned income credit. VITA is aimed at those for whom paid assistance may be out of reach.

Forms VITA Prepares

VITA volunteers can provide assistance and preparation services for several tax forms, but not all. VITA volunteers prepare the following IRS and Wisconsin Department of Revenue forms.

  • 1040 and Schedules 1-6
  • Schedule A (itemized deductions)
  • Schedule B (interest and dividends)
  • Schedule C-EZ (self-employment)
  • Schedule EIC (Earned Income Credit)
  • Schedule R
  • 2441 (Child and Dependent Care Credit)
  • 8812 (additional Child Tax Credit)
  • 8863 (education credits)
  • 8962 (Premium Tax Credit)
  • WI Form 1
  • WI Homestead Credit

Forms we cannot prepare

A list of IRS and Wisconsin Department of Revenue tax forms we are unable to prepare.

  • Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) > $66,000
  • Married filing separately (unless qualify for Head of Household)
  • Divorced in 2018
  • Military-Active Duty wages
  • Schedule C
  • Complicated and Advanced Schedule D
  • Schedule E (Rental Income, Partnerships, S-Corps)
  • Schedule F (Farm Income/Loss)
  • 2016 (Employee Business Expenses)
  • 3903 (Moving Expenses)
  • 4684 (Casualty Losses)
  • 8606 (Nondeductible IRAs)
  • 8615 (Kiddie Tax other than taxable scholarship)
  • 1099-A (Acquisition or Abandonment of Secured Property)
  • 1099-C (Cancellation of Debt) other than credit card
  • Parts 4 and 5 of 8962 (Premium Tax Credits)
  • WI NPR (nonresident and part-year resident)
  • Out-of-state returns

What to Bring

It’s important to be prepared for your tax preparation session. To facilitate the process, we have developed this list of must and should brings.

You must bring a Photo ID for yourself and your spouse, and Social Security Cards or ITIN letters for yourself, your sponse, and any dependents you’ll claim on your return.

Print Your What to Bring Checklist Here!

  • Proof of identification. This must be a photo ID.
  • Social Security Cards or ITIN numbers for yourself, your spouse, and any dependents you will claim this year.
  • Your spouse, if you are filing a married, joint return. Both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
  • Birthdates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  • Last year’s tax returns, both state and federal, if you have them.
  • All Wage and earning statement(s) for both you and your sponse (if you are filing jointly), from all employers and banks. This includes forms W-2, W-2G, and all forms 1099 (for example, SSA-1099, 1099-MISC, 1099-R, 1099-DIV, 1099-INT, etc.). If you are unsure whether or not a form you have is needed, bring it with you just in case. If you are missing a W-2, contact the employer for a duplicate before visiting the VITA site.
  • Self-Employment Income (1099-MISC or Manual Records) if you run a business or perform odd jobs and the associated expenses (Schedule C-EZ only).
  • Unemployment Income (1099-G). If you received unemployment during 2018, the state will mail or e-mail you a 1099-G. If you did not receive a 1099-G, contact the state before you arrive.
  • The amount of any Tip Income or Alimony Received.
  • Did you sell stocks? You will need to know the Gain/Loss from Sale of Stocks (1098-B and/0r Broker’s Statement). Contact your broker if you do not have this information.
  • The total amount you paid for Day Care, and the Day Care Provider’s Tax Identifying Number (the provider’s Social Security Number or their business Employer Identification Number).
  • Educational Expenses (Forms 1098-E/1098-T and receipts/statement of account for tuition, books, supplies and equipment required for enrollment or attendance) and Scholarships/Grants received. Bring both your 2018 and 2017 1098-T.
  • Alimony Paid and Recipient’s Social Security Number.
  • Amount of any IRA contributions.
  • Information on Debt Forgiveness (1099-C, Credit Card Only).
  • If you received a First-Time Homebuyer’s Credit in a previous year, bring information on the purchase date and the amount of credit you received.
  • Receipts for any Qualified Energy-Efficient Items Purchased (such as windows, furnaces, insulation, water heaters, etc.) and any Prior Year Energy-Efficient Credits received.
  • Property Tax Receipts for any property taxes Paid in 2018 and your 2018 Property Tax Bill, even if not paid.
  • Amount of Rent Payments made in 2018.
  • Home Mortgage Interest (generally reported on Form 1098).
  • Paperwork showing the Amounts Donated to Qualified Charitable Organizations (such as church or donations made to Goodwill).
  • Receipts for any Medical or Dental Expenses you paid during 2018 that were not reimbursed by your health insurance. This includes premiums for medical/dental insurance that are paid by you (amounts paid by employer or taken pre-tax on your paycheck do not qualify).
  • Health Insurance Marketplace Statement (1095-A)
  • Health Insurance Coverage (1095-B, 1095-C)
  • Health Savings Account Information (5498-A, 1099-SA).
  • Documentation for any Gambling Losses (up to the amount of gambling winnings received), if itemizing on Schedule A.
  • If you itemized last year (your return included a Schedule A), you will need to bring the Amount of State Refund you Received Last Year. This is reported on form 1099-G.
  • If you believe you are eligible for the Wisconsin Homestead Credit, bring the following:
    • Original and unaltered Rent Certificate and/or copy of 2018 Property Tax Bill.
    • Printout of any Wisconsin Works (W2) Payments Received in 2018.
    • County Relief, Kinship Care, or Other Cash Public Assistance received.
    • SSA, SSI, SSI-E or Caretaker Supplement received.
    • Child Support or Maintenance Payments received.

It is extremely important that each person use the correct Social Security Number or ITIN. The most accurate information is usually located on your original Social Security Card or the letter you received with your ITIN. Each year, hundreds of thousands of returns are delayed in processing, or credit/deductions are disallowed because names and Social Security Numbers or ITINs do not match IRS records. To prevent processing delays in paper returns and rejected electronically filed returns, volunteers check the accuracy of each Social Security Number or ITIN, as well as the spelling of the name associated with the number.

EITC Calculator
Trying to estimate your Earned Income Tax Credit? This tool to help estimate your EIT Credit.

Try the calculator here.